Thursday, February 09, 2006

World Baseball Classic Update

While I have proposed that the Braves use a bullpen by committee over at Talking Chop, I still feel that Chris Reitsma is our strongest and most reliable reliever (when healthy), and the best option if we choose one closer. It seems almost certain, now that Gagne has dropped out of the WBC, that Reits will be the closer for team Canada. This will be a better audition than closing out games in spring training.

For all of the flack that the WBC is taking, it may give certain players a chance to shine on a major stage with better competition than they would face in spring training. Spring games are exhibitions after all, while WBC games are supposed to mean something (I believe its nationalistic pride, but I’m not quite sure yet).

I wonder how worn out people will be after watching the Winter Olympics and rooting for their ‘country.’ Will they have any more of that ‘nationalistic pride’ left? And will it be an odd thing when they boo team USA in a bar in Boston as the lineup is read that includes Jeter, A-Rod, and Damon, and cheer for a Dominican Republic team that features Ortiz and Manny.

3 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger ajones2522 said...

I read your article over at talkingchop and am the one who left the comment. I have to agree and disagree with your opion of Chris Reitsma. I agree that he is our most proven reliever and is reliable when healthy and used correctly. However, I don't think he should be our closer. Two years in a row now he has run out of gas and been completely useless for us in October. I don't think he can handle the workload of a primary closer. I don't even think he should be the only 8th inning guy. He can give us the best use if he is saved a little bit and we can use him in September and October. A strong and healthy Reitsma can make a big difference in the playoffs.

 
At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here about Chris pitching as a reliever or closer and I also think that Jeff Francoeur is one of the best rookie players you have, please keep him and he is the next Babe Ruth.

Jeff.

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that Furcal is leaving the Braves

and he was a good player not only for

hitting the ball but could make lots of

steels, I hope that Chipper Jones gets

a lot better starting 2006 and The

Braves WIN FOR ONCE lately. It's about

time.

Jeff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home